2/23/12

Royal Crown Cola - Drink the red pill.

RC was always the name brand store brand soda as far as I could tell. If Coke or Pepsi were too expensive, you could buy the store's "Cola!" brand cola, or there was always RC. I never knew anyone who ever really drank the stuff. Maybe because we never see them again if they do? Ever think of that?

Here we see The Construct, where a little girl has been invited to visit the seamless white void. Ah! Refreshments! RC cola! Did you ever wonder why RC cola is found everywhere, but no one you know drinks it? It looks kind of suspiciously red in this old ad from 1959... at least that's the year they THOUGHT it was.

Obviously, this little girl has already drunk some red pill, if she's sitting in The Construct. Apparently RC is what everybody drinks in the "real world". I don't think I've ever seen a bottle of RC with the cap off. I've never seen any in my friends' fridge.



Obviously I've never had any, because I'm still sitting in my cubicle, here in Chicago. I'll let you in on a little secret. None of the elevator buttons in the actual Chicago say "lift" underneath them. We don't call them "lifts" or "Tasty Wheat". We call them elevators, even when we're not shooting up the place. The machines got it wrong.




Unless that's just a glitch... ?

Oops. One second. My phone's ringing.

Click for big and unmolested.

6 comments:

Steve Miller said...

Adobe Photoshop CS3 was code-named "Red Pill." There was an obligatory "hidden" splash screen for it. (Current version [CS5.5] is "White Rabbit.")

Steve Miller said...

Remember "Double Cola"? What can you do with that one?

Jim Dillon said...

You just have to drink it from the right kind of glass:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT8fhKun6p8&feature=related

But this is the campaign I remember:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TsRxZRZRII&feature=related

They admit the whole thing in the lyrics.
You're right.

Anonymous said...

While growing up in Chicago in the 70s, Canfield's Cola was the pop that you got when you couldn't afford Coke or Pepsi, but you still felt you were above drinking "Cola!" Sometimes you were stuck drinking RC at certain beef sandwich and gyro type places because it was all they served.

I always thought Southerners drank RC, but I have no actual proof of this.

PhilAreGo@gmail.com said...

We have no data on Double Cola, though the Google was free and easy with information. Agent Smith drinks Double Cola. "Me, me, me, me, me, me."

Thanks for the comments from the peanut gallery on this one, guys!

[-Mgmt.]

Steve Miller said...

Brother Dave Gardner confirms the southern thing... RC and Moon Pies. (Interstate travelers will find Moon Pies as close as the nearest Cracker Barrel. Yer on your own for the RC*)

*pronounced Ar-see Cola.

Post a Comment